Skip to main content

Handcuffs & Serial Numbers. Don't Go Drinking With Your Guitar! Plus other informative nuggets to protect your gear.




“Just like “The Bag Lady” Erykah Badu said, “Pack light!” Less is more while on tour, always.” Anonymous. 
"You might miss me when I'm gone"

What’s going on?

I have noticed a rash of stolen gear from musicians. Some left the guitar in the car, walked away for a hot minute and smash goes the window. Bye Bye Strat. While researching this hot button topic, I came across many people who had their equipment walk away. Most never is returned. While I don’t have a lot of empathy for bigger name bands who are familiar with tour life yet still leave ALL their expensive gear in a trailer outside a motel in Houston, I do think thieves suck. What I’ve learned too is thieves can be plagued by indolence. Yet once they get your stuff they are like Cheetahs in the savanna or a reality show princess in Bloomingdales. They are quick and often crazy. Yet they move your gear for the money. Most likely the money they get isn’t even for the full value. I suppose their bargaining decision making depends on the price of their drug of choice. I am sure not all thieves are addicts. Still addiction causes people to do desperate and often callous deeds, like lifting someone’s rare Les Paul or another’s Sunburst. You can’t put a price on the memories one has of a certain gig or even a spur-of-the-moment practice session.  As I wind around the ways of how to not piss people off with my writing, I offer this to you musicians. Think of it as a way to get Lady Karma to send me luck and prosperity and for you not to get ripped off. Here we go.

Before we do that let's start with a positive outcome Petty and the boys got lucky, babe. 

This is not the norm.

Protect your Gear.

1 My pal Jake of Old Currents says "We usually try & keep all our stuff together in a corner with 1 person or more right next to it and if I’m talking to someone, I usually have the person I’m talking to stand so I can keep an eye on our gear while talking. (see more of our convo below)

#2 - "Handcuff them to you".  My friend, Richie, has spoken. Don't ask questions. Just do it.; 

#3 - Joseph, the luthier, says "Yo rock stars don't leave your guitar at the bar. Ok. Bartenders and Waitresses are not to be trusted". Apparently someone had a waitress lift his guitar. Please see #2. (More about that in the Sad Stories portion) 

#4 - Sleep with it. At least you can say you didn't sleep alone. #upallnighttogetlucky

# 5 - My friend, Angelo, who works at 2 guitar shops said matter of factly. "Micro Chip it. You chip your dog. Why not your guitar".

#6 – Adam, the lead singer of Fragile Creatures has actual insurance. He and his crew have Fenders. Fenders are expensive. Insure your Fender. 

Read this…

#7 – If you need to fly to another city or country, Kevin, a respected Philly session player, said “be very kind to the flight attendant. Ask politely if you can store it in the back in an upright position.” I would imagine it might be hard to store in the overhead compartment. Again he stressed “Be very nice…” It does go along way.   

#8 - Finally. Leave the case empty. Carry your stuff in a gig bag. Carry into the hotel, motel. Don't let it leave your side. Pete, of the legendary Figgs told me. They have been together 32 years and have NOT had anything lifted. 

 Also I was watching this video of the Play It Loud exhibit at the Met. I still want to go. If you watch, see how the players marked up their guitars. My fave is the incomparable Tom Morello's guitar with Soul Power etched on it. The Edge has picks on his. A few have noticeable dings and nicks. Part 1 and 2 are pretty awesome to watch. I blew a half hour staring at the masterfully arranged exhibit.

Now if you do get your gear taken do the following:
1.  Alert the police PRONTO.
2.  Throw pictures out on ALL the socials. If it’s a late gig, don’t wait until the morning. Someone is most likely up at 3 am.
3.  Implore folks to share.
4.  Call the pawn shops.
5.  Alert guitar shops in the area. So you know dealers and guitar shop workers are in cahoots with one another. They loathe thieves just as much as you will when you go to your car and poof, your Hollowbody is gone.

Dealers communicate with each other. A smart dealer will ask someone who comes in off the street the following:
1. Where's the case?
2. Where's the certificate?
3. Do you even play guitar?
4. Where’s the serial number?  A sure sign of a lifted guitar is a rubbed out serial number. WRITE IT DOWN. Register your equipment. It is imperative.  I sound so Mom like. Just do it y’all.

 SAD STORIES


1.  1. Cake is not immune to thievery. They also left all their gear in a trailer outside their motel in Portland which is plain stupid. Sorry Cake. You can’t eat it too.


2.The Suffers too left ALL of their pricey gear in a trailer. NOW they also started a GO Fund me and received a bit over 30K they were asking for from suckers. Like me. I gave money. Not much. But after I thought about it, and talked to a pal, I though they should have known better. Also, I only saw a picture of an empty trailer. It really could have been any trailer. I didn’t see any sign of break in.  My immediate Nancy Drew went into full foul play mode.  Also, they don’t come from nothing really. They all had “Real” jobs at one point. Jobs that would give them access to insurance. Moral – treat your gear like a family member. Get insurance. Hell, some people get their doggos insured. DO IT.  It’s really not that expensive. Put it in perspective, maybe skip a night out at the bar, or juice place. Eating healthy organic stuff is expensive. I am still annoyed that I gave them anything. Ce La Vie.

3.One of my fave “poor you” stories is this one. This guy was asleep in one of the "Many lounges" on the campus of Berklee. Uh really. He wants your money, sucker.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-replace-mwanzi039s-stolen-guitar

4.Royston Langdon of Spacehog's guitar "walked" off stage in Seattle. He was extremely upset. It clearly had to be someone at the gig. The venue's manager alerted all his socials as did Royston.  He did NOT start a GoFund me.  Classy move. He of course doesn't need to get a second job but that is an option people.

5. Also I did hear a story about a luthier who lent a custom guitar to musician. The musician decided this fine guitar would be his wing man at the bar.  Don't go drinking with your guitar ok. A waitress took it out back. Guitar went missing for a short while. It was located because of the special nature of the make of the guitar. Thieves are heartless bastards. 
   

Last tip for you. There is a registry and people actually take it seriously. 

http://www.stolenguitarregistry.com/howworks.php


Here is more of my convo with Jake, of the Old Currents. They HAVE Not had anything stolen.

Jake - On the subject of protecting gear, we haven’t had anything stolen yet but we’re still super careful with our stuff. We never leave any gear unattended, even if it’s go grab a beer. We usually try and keep all our stuff together in a corner with one person or more right next to it and if I’m talking to someone, I’ll usually have the person I’m talking to stand so I can keep an eye on our gear while talking. I don’t know if it’s effective, but I heavily sticker my cases so I can quickly identify it from afar. I also have photos and serial numbers of all my gear written on a paper in my important stuff drawer at home in case it’s stolen I can have all the details. I also mark all my gear in a discrete spot so even if someone steals and say refinishes it, I can still identify it too.
We used to be pretty relaxed about our gear then within a short period of time two bands I love Two Cow Garage and American Aquarium got their stuff stolen and I didn’t wanna be in the same boat as them.

T -  Awesome ideas. If you don't mind if i use some of this. I don't have to use your name..... American got their stuff taken??? I like them.

J -  Yea quote away! And if memory serves BJ didn’t get his red Gibson acoustic taken, it Bill their bassist at the time got his Gibson goldtop Les Paul bass taken among other gear. So do I they’re a great band.

All I know it if I got my Gibson ES-335 stolen I’d be crushed. I worked and saved all summer when I was 18 to get and I’ve played every full band show with it since except for 2. It means more to me than anything I own.


And whenever we go out of state, anything of value gets taken in from the car to the hotel/friend’s house etc. the last thing we wanna do at 1am is unload the car, but we’d rather bring it inside and be safe then lazy and have our stuff taken."

T - I agree. I am convinced it's like a bling ring. I am also convinced the venues or my friend said hotels might could be not sure but could be in on it. I like that you heavily sticker the cases. Good idea. Well I'm pimping myself out to watch people's instruments. I have pepper spray.

J - Good call! Start a side hustle guarding gear! I’ve totally heard or read peoples theories that hotels or venues might be in bed with some bad people, but I don’t have any firsthand experience with that. I’ve heard once that a band with a heavily secured van, spent extra money to stay at a nice hotel, with a guarded parking garage with security cameras and STILL got some stuff taken. Seems a bit fishy to me. Maybe it’s not the best way to be, but the only people I can trust with my stuff is me.

T - I can do that and be a merch girl. My dream job lol

Happy gigging. Don't let this happen to you. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song of the Day - "OPEN" - by Stella Ruze (Rules)

The Gang is all here. STELLA RUZE writtten by Violet Rosette Stella Ruze? More like Stella Rulez! Stella Ruze was birthed in the Manayunk section of Philadelphia in 2014 and is continuing to grow. They just dropped a new video for their newest song “Open”. This song will be featured on their new album “The Greater Dog”. Brendan Johnson & Katie O’Donnell are the band founders and help write most of the songs. The group also includes Keyboardist Mason Wallack and Alex Styer on trumpet. Together they make a stellar team! What could be better than Stella Ruze the 4-piece?   Stella Ruze the 7-piece! These funky monkeys have added accomplished blues drummer Sean McIntyre who really knows his way around a drum set. They also merged Bass guitar extraordinaire Ted Mayo and saxophone player, Vince Gleason, who is a lifetime member of the legendary Mummer group – Ferko String Band, into the previous 4-piece. According to the band, “Our new sound emboldens our message to fa

Song of the day - The Big Swirl - Barney Cortez

Wild opening sequence  draws you in with a sweep of psychedelic, cowboy energy.  barney favors Stetson looks btw.  Eclectic guitar riffs match the lyrical sass and elegant horn accouterments.  Barney comes at you with silky smooth vocals that belie the hard truth as he tells  a little story about his journey.  He thought he should call this track Runaway but The Big Swirl spews intrigue.  He sing about being a coke a cola freak and the failure trap.  So he Runs away. "The Big Swirl" emanates from a song by "Sir Rockaby",  Frank Black tune. The particular use of the term moved Barney. He told me,  " " It's what he calls the sky and the universe and I came to use the phrase as the spectrum of human emotions and experience. Sort of like a rebirth." This is deep and poignant kind of like much of Barney's music and though process.  Barney imparts a casual vibe but his songs are ripe with world wariness. He has a groovy vibe sport

Artist of the Week - Rubber, the band, from Philadelphia

A n ironic set of results when you Google,Rubber the band.  The useful office staple pops up. This useful educational article appears Rubber: A simple introduction - Explain that Stuff There is also a 2010 movie entitled Rubber. ´ Rubber  is a 2010 English-language French independent, satirical horror film about a tire that comes to life and kills people with its psychic powers.” Apparently it’s based on a true story. Rubber, the band, from Philadelphia consists of Andrew Loper (Singer/Co-Writer) & John Della Franco (Producer/Co-Writer). This amiable duo is quickly gaining steam and streams.  They are playing in several local Philly venues drawing crowds with only 2 secured singles out. They say an EP is coming soon. “Contol” snapped and popped into my finely tuning auditory system. The level of sophisticated twists in this melodious song about contemporary angst is right on point. The aspect of pretending to be in control anchors this self admittedly personal tr