Skip to main content

Hold On Monique is here to guide you through.



Cinematic, ascending piano playing and a classically operatic trained voice makes the artist, Monique Angele, a rising star. Her latest EP Alive is ripe with cathartic lyrics and cascading sounds. She pens anthem like songs such"Forever Strong", "Hold On" and "I Want a World". These tracks bubble with enthusiasm and gusto. I especially enjoyed "Rare Girl' it's nod to being your own best self, quirks and all. If you looking for a classy chanteuse, look no further. She will fill your auditory senses up with feathery piano and buoyant voice.

Monique graciously agreed to answer a few questions for me.

Hi Tina,

Thanks so much for the interview! Please see my answers below:

Tell me about your impetus to create and your creative process?  
I get inspired to write music from my own personal life experiences and also world events. I usually write my songs organically - the song process comes from a thinking from a melody, chord structure or lyrics, whichever comes first. 

How do you feel about the current state of music today? I've spoken to several artists who basically are DIY from booking venues, festivals, getting paid, and getting the word out about their music. Tell me how you are getting gigs and getting your music out? 
I think it's a great time for people to get their music out there but also a very difficult time. With the internet and very accessible music platforms it's easier than ever to get your music online and share it. However since it is so easy now there is a huge saturation of musicians all trying to get their music heard which makes it very competitive. I self-manage myself as an artist and sometimes it can be quite difficult and a lot of work. I try to stay active as much as possible in the music scene by performing and I also post a lot about my music on social media. I also try to keep releasing new material as often as I can. I continuously set new goals fro myself so I always have a project in the works.  I love creating and performing music so I can't give up even though its tough to get your music heard. 

I find there is alot of sweet sounds coming out of Australia of late, not that OZ wasn't a hot bed for talent. What do you feel the difference is in the vibe out there? How did you find the music scene in Canada? 

I find that Australia was very welcoming when I first arrived here. They are very open to different genres and sounds. Toronto and Melbourne are quite similar cities when it comes to the music scenes. Toronto has more of a focus on raw rock sounds and hip hop, where Melbourne is a bit more on the polished sound from my experience. Both countries have a lot of great music to offer and I think the music scenes are constantly evolving with different genres.  

Where would you like to travel?  Does traveling help you music? 

I would like to travel all over Europe, parts of South America and South East Asia at the moment. Yes, I do think travelling helps with my music. It definitely gives me a different perspective on life and can inspire me to write. Being in a different environment always gives me ideas. 

What music are you listening to at the moment? 

I listen to pretty much anything, but at this moment a bit of grunge - Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana.

Do you work a job or are you a full time musician? 

I do have a day job to pay the bills.

Tell me a fun fact about you. Something unrelated to music. 

I used to be a dancer. When I was younger I wanted to be a professional dancer but decided the lifestyle wasn't for me. 

........................................................

Thanks so much! Please let me know if you need anything, I really appreciate it.
 
 
I do believe this lady needs to be out there in your playlist, in your sister, wife, girlfriend, mom, etc. playlist. You get it. A piano playing Brandi C. She's got it going on.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song of the Day - "OPEN" - by Stella Ruze (Rules)

The Gang is all here. STELLA RUZE writtten by Violet Rosette Stella Ruze? More like Stella Rulez! Stella Ruze was birthed in the Manayunk section of Philadelphia in 2014 and is continuing to grow. They just dropped a new video for their newest song “Open”. This song will be featured on their new album “The Greater Dog”. Brendan Johnson & Katie O’Donnell are the band founders and help write most of the songs. The group also includes Keyboardist Mason Wallack and Alex Styer on trumpet. Together they make a stellar team! What could be better than Stella Ruze the 4-piece?   Stella Ruze the 7-piece! These funky monkeys have added accomplished blues drummer Sean McIntyre who really knows his way around a drum set. They also merged Bass guitar extraordinaire Ted Mayo and saxophone player, Vince Gleason, who is a lifetime member of the legendary Mummer group – Ferko String Band, into the previous 4-piece. According to the band, “Our new sound emboldens our message to fa

Song of the day - The Big Swirl - Barney Cortez

Wild opening sequence  draws you in with a sweep of psychedelic, cowboy energy.  barney favors Stetson looks btw.  Eclectic guitar riffs match the lyrical sass and elegant horn accouterments.  Barney comes at you with silky smooth vocals that belie the hard truth as he tells  a little story about his journey.  He thought he should call this track Runaway but The Big Swirl spews intrigue.  He sing about being a coke a cola freak and the failure trap.  So he Runs away. "The Big Swirl" emanates from a song by "Sir Rockaby",  Frank Black tune. The particular use of the term moved Barney. He told me,  " " It's what he calls the sky and the universe and I came to use the phrase as the spectrum of human emotions and experience. Sort of like a rebirth." This is deep and poignant kind of like much of Barney's music and though process.  Barney imparts a casual vibe but his songs are ripe with world wariness. He has a groovy vibe sport

Artist of the Week - Rubber, the band, from Philadelphia

A n ironic set of results when you Google,Rubber the band.  The useful office staple pops up. This useful educational article appears Rubber: A simple introduction - Explain that Stuff There is also a 2010 movie entitled Rubber. ´ Rubber  is a 2010 English-language French independent, satirical horror film about a tire that comes to life and kills people with its psychic powers.” Apparently it’s based on a true story. Rubber, the band, from Philadelphia consists of Andrew Loper (Singer/Co-Writer) & John Della Franco (Producer/Co-Writer). This amiable duo is quickly gaining steam and streams.  They are playing in several local Philly venues drawing crowds with only 2 secured singles out. They say an EP is coming soon. “Contol” snapped and popped into my finely tuning auditory system. The level of sophisticated twists in this melodious song about contemporary angst is right on point. The aspect of pretending to be in control anchors this self admittedly personal tr